Cylinder head bolt question

Hier können Reperaturfragen gestellt werden. Wie wird was wieder repariert?

Moderatoren: Kristian, tester_änderung

Antworten
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Cylinder head bolt question

Beitrag von baldock »

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists ... 6_ab76.gif

I want to replace the allen key cylinder head bolts for the original Honda ones.

After looking at the confusing link (some bolts have 2 numbers), I ordered what I thought was correct but there is a problem.

1) The number and pattern of bolts in the diagram does not match the amount actually needed.
2) Bolts #25 are too long at 80mm and don't fit. They need to be about 60mm.
3) One of the bolts is so tight against the cylinder head that it has no room for a flange head, and even an allen bolt struggles to screw in straight.

Is there a better diagram anywhere showing what length bolt goes where?
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Re: Cylinder head bolt question

Beitrag von PeterB »

Hi Boltrock :D ,

remind me, whether you own a S- or R-Model. Bolts are different. I do not know the details, but recall that the S-head has at least one M7 winding. The diagram you posted refers to an R-engine, I suppose.

Keep Your Spirits!

peterb
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hi Baldock,

this is the false picture for ordering screws. You have a XL500R please use the right list. There are small difference between XL500S and XL500R.
Unfortunately, I don't have an exact list with the lengths of the screws needed. Perhaps someone has a list for the XL500R.
Leider habe ich keine genaue Liste mit den Längen der benötigten Schrauben im Zylinderkopfdeckel. Eventuell hat jemand eine Liste für die XL500R.

Greetings
Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hi Peter,

das ist kein R-Bild. Die R hat in der vorderen linken Ecke noch eine Schraube mehr.
Aber eine Liste mit den Maßen habe ich auch nicht. Tausend mal berührt, nie aufgeschrieben. :D

Gruß Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

War ein Kurzschluß wg. des Drehzahlmesserantriebs und verlegter Brille. Nix für ungut!

beste grüße
peterb
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

Can someone with original Honda bolts on an XL500R please look to see what is in position B?

A standard bolt head doesn't fit against the casting and and allen bolt only goes in at an angle
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

Hello baldock,
I just dug an "R" engine out of the garage. This hole does not exist there. Count the total # of bolts. As far as I recall "R"-heads have 13 bolts and "S"-heads have 11 plus one stud.

Helps?

beste grüße
peterb
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Which jackass put a screw in it. A fitting sleeve belongs there.
Now I have created a screw list. I hope it is not too complicated.
A is the length until the thread comes.
B is the maximum thread length.

Greetings Gunnar

Picture-Update
beschriftung-berechnung-klein.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Zuletzt geändert von Gunnar_HH am 8. August 2021, 10:13, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

thanks peter and gunnar.

I measured the threads in the head and the shaft lengths from the cover yesterday. I've figured out which bolts are needed but the allen one kept confusing me. Now I know why. I'm part way through zinc plating, so have to keep popping back to the shed, but I'll compare my measurements to yours gunnar to see if they match.
BTW my number 11 is m6. The hole in the cover is for m7, but the thread in the head is m6
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

Peter, looks like you're correct. There should be 13 bolts but I have 14.

Gunnar, Thanks for taking the time to take all of those measurements. It took me ages, so I'm guessing it did the same or you. All but one of your cover measurements match mine closely, but 7 of the cylinder head thread measurements are substantially different. I'll check those again on mine in case it affects which new bolts I should buy.
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hello Baldock,

it didn't take that long. There is an error (number 11 is a normal M6 thread). I will correct the mistake in the drawing.
About the thread depths: Probably a person before you has already machined the cylinder head and that's how differences arise.
A normal thread needs about 6 turns to wear well. If you want to do better, use 10 or 12 turns. For M6, one turn is exactly 1mm. So it fits for all measured holes.
But be careful with hole number 10, if you drill too deep there, oil from the rocker shaft will run direktly into the spark plug hole.

Many greetings from Cuxhaven
Gunnar

for your problem at hole number 14 (its like Kings Chross platform 9 and 3/4), please take bolt DIN878
special-bolts.jpg
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

Off topic!!

Hi Gunnar,
the Moto 6.5 had already smiled at me, similar to the Yamaha SRX 600, does the thing work well ?

beste grüße
peterb
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Also Off-Topic

Yes, the little fat one is doing well at Lake Garda.
Wilbers shock and springs, better seat, now also Stealth sprocket and soon Mikuni 42-6 carburettor. Then the boozing will stop. It's fun.

Greetings
Gunnar
Moto-in-Italia-klein.jpg
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

For future information, the 2 bolts (#25) on the Honda diagram E1-CYLINDER HEAD COVER - part number 957000608000/957010608000 are incorrect. These bolts are M6X80 and should be M6X60 (taking a 10mm socket).

The correct part number is 95701-060-6000
Antworten