my XL500R engine rebuild post

Hier können Reperaturfragen gestellt werden. Wie wird was wieder repariert?

Moderatoren: Kristian, tester_änderung

Antworten
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

my XL500R engine rebuild post

Beitrag von baldock »

The engine has finally been sprayed in 2K satin black, and now its time to rebuild and show pics as I progress.
Never done this before, so please forgive the constant questions in advance.
I already have 2, but first a picture of the painted parts.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Re: my XL500R engine rebuild post

Beitrag von baldock »

All of the new seals and parts fitted back into the left crankcase cover fine.

There was a problem though with the right hand cover. I tapped a new pin into the clutch lever mechanism thinking it would be drilled to the right depth, but it seemed to go in a bit far for my liking. Do you think the spring will creep over the pin and pop loose? I don't really want to chew it up trying to pull it out a bit more, so thought I'd ask your advice first?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

Looks nice!
Guess this will work. Anyways, it won't be a big problem if that doesn't work .. The cover can be removed at any time without having to remove the engine.

Hold On! :rolleyes:

peterb
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

problem number 2.

The 2 longer stud bolts screw in fully until they are 180mm above the surface.

The 2 shorter stud bolts screw in at different levels (165mm and 175mm above the surface).

Stud A screws fully in, to the point where it wont go in any more (even though the hole is open at the bottom).

Stud B screws in fully (no hole at bottom).

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here and if there is a set height each bolt should be above the surface?
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

Looks pretty well to me, as it is now. The left hand stud in the rear is shorter. Btw, my old friend "Geier" had reminded me previously, that these studs are "extension screws" that have to be replaced at any overhaul.

I personally have used them many times with higher torque. Shure, that is not what I should recommend here...

best
peterb
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

Thanks Peter. So when they're screwed in there are meant to be 2 tall studs, 1 medium and 1 short :zustimm:

Yet another problem was found during engine reassembly. The kick starter return spring had a fracture.

Whilst waiting for the new one to arrive, I started assembling the powder coated frame to the newly spray painted swinging arms and suspension linkage.
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

Hi baldock,

das sieht schön aus!
You must be a lucky man. Imagine the spring breaks after reassemblance of all the parts...With regard to the engine rebuilt, this would have meant: starting from scratch!

best
peter
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hello Baldock,

that looks really good. Please pay attention to the electrical ground connections, they are very important for working lamps and the ignition. What luck with the defective kick starter spring. Fit the nipples for the swingarm lubrication in right direction so that you can easily get to them later for service. Pay attention to the direction. You may be able to use sealing paper until the direction is correct.

Many greetings
Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

well the new kickstart spring has arrived (thank you Peter).

One question though. The haynes manual shows a nut with torque setting that doesn't exist on either my bike or on the Honda XL500R diagram at CMSL.

Can anyone explain please?
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

I've fitted and torqued a nut in place as I needed to get on with the rebuild.
Incidentally, Using a piece of chord to fit the spring was really easy with no chance of causing damage.
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

Next question. The haynes manual says.......

'turn the selector drum until the plain lobe of the stopper plate is almost vertical, then fit the detent stopper arm and spring...... the roller on the end of the stopper arm should engage the small neutral recess in the plate.'

Is E definitely the neutral recess?
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

No need for an answer now. Problem solved.
PeterB
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von PeterB »

:top: :top: :top:

keep your spirits!

peterb
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

finally, the upper and lower crankcases are together. I just need to find out the answer to the balancer sprocket question and hopefully the build should speed up.
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

This engine looks wonderful. High praise.
Keep it up.

Cheers Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
Antworten