Moderator: Kristian

Antworten
dieselflosse
Frischling
Frischling

Some question about XL250S

Beitrag von dieselflosse »

Hello!

I just noticed this great XL site! Unfortunately I have to use English instead of Germany.

I bought my XL250S this spring for getting back a routine of riding with two wheels. During this summer I have spend about 3000 km by riding this bike.

I have a couple of questions related to the bike. Does someone have a pictures of bike in original concision? I have plan to get my XL back to original view. The biggest questions are the color of the engine and the fender of the front wheel. Has there been black engine available for 'S' in '81? How about fender a next from a wheel (ref. http://www.xl500.de/hauptseite/xl500rd.htm)?

Some weeks ago the bike started to burn all bulbs (headlight, staylights and meterlights). I found out that for some reason light circuit started to load from 5V...20V with all bulbs on. I fixed the problem by adding a resistor of Monkey to the side of the circuit. Now the max output voltage is about 7V. Could someone find out the reason for this strange event?

Do you know where I gan buy an original exhaust (end side)?
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hello Tero,

congratulations for the XL and your first 3000 kilometer in this year.

for your Questions:
  • 1. How looks like the original Fender of the front-wheel?
    Wie sieht das Orirginal-Schutzblech des Vorderrades aus?
    2. How and where can I get an original Exaust?
    Wo kann ich noch einen originalen Auspuff für die XL250S bekommen?
    3. What about the colour of the engine?
    Ist dies die originale Motorfarbe?
    4. Problems with your generator?
    Wie sind die Probleme mit der Lichtmaschine zu erklären. Hier die hohe Spannung, die aktuell durch einen Widerstand reduziert wird.
We need:
The exact type-code, like LS250Sxxxxx or MD11xxxxxxx on the little metal-plate on the frame near the exaust manifold (Krümmer).
Maybe the production-Code, like JH2 RC04*BM200001.
And the year of manifacture.

Best regards

Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
volkri
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von volkri »

Hi Tero,

your S seems to be nearly original exept the front fender and the engine.
The original engine of the ´81 250S wasn´t black.

The original front fender was also high but had a different shape, the same
as the 500S at this link.

Regards

Volker 8)
dieselflosse
Frischling
Frischling

Original or not

Hi!

Thanks for your answers!

It is quite obvious that the engine is painted by some earlier owner (some guy from Germany, the bike is imported a few years ago). So I have to 'clean' it and give a new green colour to the sides.

The info about fender is new for me. I have thought it is original. I fits very well to the bike and the shape is a little bit old fassion comaping to new bikes. Is it from a few years newer XLxxxR?

Back to my question... Was there opitional fender 'next from the tyre' available '81? I like that type more than high version :wink:

I will check the S/N of the bike later (I don't remember it by hard...)
volkri
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von volkri »

Hi,

try silver (not green :D ) for the engine if if you want to put it to original.

Your front fender is no XL-part, even no original Honda-part imo.

For the 81 XL250S there was no "near to tyre"-fender available. But nevertheless those of the years 78-80 fit to your bike.
If you are able to get this rare part, note that it has never been sold in the original color of your bike. So you have to paint it.

Regards

Volker 8)
dieselflosse
Frischling
Frischling

volkri hat geschrieben:Hi,

try silver (not green :D ) for the engine if if you want to put it to original.

Your front fender is no XL-part, even no original Honda-part imo.

For the 81 XL250S there was no "near to Tyre"-fender available. But nevertheless it fits to your bike.
If you are able to get this rare part, note that it has never been sold in the original color of your bike. So you have to paint it.

Regards

Volker 8)
Green engine... It might be good looking with that colour :D I met gray...

That wrong fender is bad suprise for me... Are you sure? There is similar in bild gallerie 4. 'Rainer´s XL Umbau mit FT Motor'

By the way is that original one plastic or steel?

Was 'next from tyre' (NFT :idee: ) fender only available for XL500S? Or was the latest year for that option '80? I have seen many pictures of XL500Ss from '79 and '80 with NFT fender even in the gallery of this site.
volkri
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von volkri »

The high fender and the "NFT" :D were plastic.
The NFT was available for both the 250 and the 500s.
In Germany ist was regularly mounted only in ´79.
In ´80 there was an option.
In ´81 the color changed from "tahitian red" (nearly orange) to "monza red" and the NFT wasn´t produced in that color. The ´81 models were sold only with the high fender (and masked frontlight).

The XL fenders never had air cuts in front of the engine (but it´s better for the oil temperature) so the cuts you see in the Bildergalerie are made by the owners afterwards or you see third party products like Acerbis.

Regards

Volker 8)
dieselflosse
Frischling
Frischling

Reference

Hi!

You have very good information! Do you remember all by heard? Or do you have some documentation to refer?

If you have a written material it might be useful when I try to get 'museum' plates in Finland. The process is quite hard, but then insurance is all most free (ca. 30€ / year). Only drawback is a driving limit 30 days per year (nobody controls).
volkri
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von volkri »

Hm...it´s riding, reading and using the collected knowledge of this forum.

Under "i.d.Presse" on the left you can find a scan of the ´81 german Honda XL brochure, showing the 185S, 250S and 500S.

The problem is that the picture of the 250s of all is unfornaturely not the german, but the exportmodel with another design and the unmasked frontlight.
The german design was the same as the shown design of the 500S.

I remember there was a short story of the 250S in the german magazine "Motorrad", I think 8/81. That one sometimes is available at ebay. I don´t have this at home, sorry.

Regards

Volker 8)
Antworten