Moderator: Kristian

Antworten
Jambo
Frischling
Frischling

Megacycle Cam

Beitrag von Jambo »

Hello to all XL Brothers,

Am a guy from Sweden which own 4 ea XL500S/R, which 3 I have restored to original standard during the last 5 years, the last 1 that I have procured is an 1982 R, and the top-end is in a very poor state, and would cost a lot of money in new parts (head/cover/cam/rockers, etc), there is of cause no problems to get the parts, but it would be expecive, so I have decided to machine the head and cover, and install an oversize megacycle cam with neadle bearings instead, and that will save me a lot of cash.

My question to all of you is, do you know anybody in Europe which sell said cam for the XL/XR500 -78 > -82 or FT500 -82/83 engines.
Otherwise I will procure directly from the Californa factory, which have them in stock at US$ 328, not freight and Swedish taxes included.

Would be grateful for any information regarding this matter.

Cheers,
Jambo
omagott
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von omagott »

Hy Jambo,
Link yourself with Dominik...he owns one and I guess he´ll tell you a story about it, too.
If you buy one, be very careful! There are different grinds, one sharp enough to wreck the valve train ( cam,rockers, valves, high drive loads to the chain and tensioner) in a few hours of running. Another point is that for some of these cams, you need shortened valve guides.
So, talk to Dominik and then call the boys in California so they don´t sell you useless junk you can use only on the flattrack...

Gruß,
die Oma
Hammer: Werkzeug, das sich aus einer primitiven Schlagwaffe entwickelt hat. Der Hammer wird als wünschelrutenähnliches Gerät genutzt, um das teuerste Teil zu finden das in der Umgebung des Teils liegt welches man eigentlich treffen wollte.
Jambo
Frischling
Frischling

Beitrag von Jambo »

Hello Omagott,

Thanks for your reply, and advise. Have heard similar stories myself, and that is the reason am careful, and invetigating the matter deeply before I procure.
Will try to get in contact with Dominik and see what he can tell me.

Cheers,
Jambo
Dominik
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Dominik »

Hello Jambo,

I don't own that megacycle. It's Erik's (http://www.alttec-classics.de). It's just stored in my place :). I never used it in a running engine. I never orderd parts from Megacycle. XL500Doktor did. He probably knows more about that. I only mesured the curve of the valvelift of the cam. Here are the results, if you are interested.

It is a Megacycle 144-40 wich should be used with improved valve springs and guides (according to megacycle catalog page 29).

The camshaft doesn't look like it was used for long, but it is eye-catching worn at the top of the cams. I don't know what happend to th cam before.

Bild
click to enlarge
Bild
click to enlarge
Bild
click to enlarge

The second curious thing is that the distance between the exhaust-cam and the chain-wheel is to little. The cam had to remove some material from the head before it could rotate free :( (see picture below). The cam was about 3 mm out of original dimension.

Bild

But whatever I heard is that Megacycle has a quite good name. So I think it is a "unlucky" cam, manufactured on a Monday.

Hope I helped you a little.

Creetinks,
Dominik
Jambo
Frischling
Frischling

Beitrag von Jambo »

Dominik,

Thank you kindly for replying. Interesting reading and good information, personally i belive that whoever been using said cam has not followed the instruction properly, the 144-40 is a high performance cam for off-roading, with a valvlift of .365 > .370" and must be used with special valve springs, pison, rings, etc, so mentioned cam should not be installed only by itself. Personal I am suspecting that somebody used said cam by itself only, creating the result shown in your photos. The sidewear in the head in the lubrication pocket, is however interesting, have not seen this before.

Anyway, the cam I have in mind is not a racing/high performance cam, but a standard cam, to be used with original part in the valve train, as well as piston and so fort, it is called: NB, and is oversized in axeldiameter only, and with needel bearings, no lobe changes. Why, for me, its just pure economics, the engine that I procured is totally worn out at the topend, but by machining all the bearing bores in the top and cover, and installing the NB cam, I will save some Euro 1600, which to me is a good deal.

Have placed a fax order directly to the factory in the US, and got a reply that the NB cam was available, and that it will cost me some $350 including freight, and looking forward to receiving the items.

Will report back sometime in the future, when the engine is up and running.

Regards,
Jambo
Antworten