front wheel spindle question.

Hier kann über alles Mögliche geplaudert werden was mit und um unsere XL zu tun hat

Moderator: Kristian

Antworten
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

front wheel spindle question.

Beitrag von baldock »

Whilst fitting the front wheel, I noticed a couple of things that puzzled me.

1) The 2 outer lugs of the gear box retainer fit snuggly on the inside of the wheel. However, there was a lot of gap where the 2 inner bent lugs meet the speedometer gear box. It looked like they were barely touching. Is this normal?

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl500r-1982 ... 680ma0000/

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl500r-1982 ... 800ma0771/

2) The front wheel axle was screwed into the bottom left fork leg and the axle holder tightened on the bottom right fork leg. However, I noticed that there is quite a gap between the inner face of the fork leg and outer face of the speedometer gearbox. It makes me wonder if the gearbox could drift away from the lugs mentioned above and stop the speedo from working. Does this gap exist on yours?
Jogi.R
XL Guru
XL Guru

Re: front wheel spindle question.

Beitrag von Jogi.R »

baldock hat geschrieben: 14. Oktober 2021, 23:55 1) The 2 outer lugs of the gear box retainer fit snuggly on the inside of the wheel. However, there was a lot of gap where the 2 inner bent lugs meet the speedometer gear box. It looked like they were barely touching. Is this normal?
That's normal.

baldock hat geschrieben: 14. Oktober 2021, 23:55 2) The front wheel axle was screwed into the bottom left fork leg and the axle holder tightened on the bottom right fork leg. However, I noticed that there is quite a gap between the inner face of the fork leg and outer face of the speedometer gearbox. It makes me wonder if the gearbox could drift away from the lugs mentioned above and stop the speedo from working. Does this gap exist on yours?
on the axle is a waistband that fixes the speedometer drive.
Wenns nicht mehr klappert, ist es kaputt.
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

thanks for the reply jogi.

Mine doesn't have a 'waistband'. I pressed the gear box retainer into the wheel, followed by the oil seal that holds it in place. I put the wheel between the forks (making sure that the speedo drive and brake drum were located correctly), then slid the spindle through. After tightening it to the correct torque, I fitted the axle holder and tightened the top 2 bolts to the correct torque, followed by the bottom 2. I saw the gap before this point, and could force the fork bottoms together but they obviously wouldn't stay like this. The shoulder of the end of the spindle is flush with the fork edge, having just the hexagonal part sticking out.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Jogi wrote it, the small gap is normal. Do not squeeze, the fork would no longer compress so nicely.
It works even better if you leave the clamping plate open and push the front wheel against a house wall, plunge it three times and then tighten the clamping plate.

Greetings Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

thanks, I was confused by the 'waistband', thinking I was missing a part.
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Thats is the normal reaction at the first time.And most of us press the forkarms together, but its wrong.
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
Antworten