E10 fuel

Hier kann über alles Mögliche geplaudert werden was mit und um unsere XL zu tun hat

Moderator: Kristian

Antworten
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

E10 fuel

Beitrag von baldock »

Our government has just introduced E10 fuel at all petrol stations. The news said that it has been in Europe for quite a while.
They also said that the fuel will damage older vehicles by ruining seals or the inside of petrol tanks.
What do you guys do to prevent this? Is there some kind of additive?
hiha
XL Guru
XL Guru

Re: E10 fuel

Beitrag von hiha »

I know many cyclists which use exclusively E10 in their old bikes and youngtimers, and never had any problems with seals or fuel-tanks. Motorcycle fuel tanks usually are bare steel or aluminium withount coatings (inside), I also could not see more corrosion. I by myself use it time by time in severals bikes from XT500 to BMW K75. It simply works.
BUT: It always depends to the additives the petrol-company mixes into the fuel. So E10 is not necessarily E10.
AND: You will read more postings AGAINST the use of E10. I would see the problems with it not in the ethanol, but in the scrappy quality of standard-pump-fuel nowadays in general...

Cheers,
Hans
Frank M
XL Guru
XL Guru

Re: E10 fuel

Beitrag von Frank M »

In my experience, E10 and even E5 are less storage-stable. It attacks the brass of the nozzles and causes deposits in the float chamber up to completely clogged nozzles. Wherever I can, I use fuel with 100 octane or more (with less or no alcohol) in my motorcycles and always drain the gasoline over the winter.
Antworten