building your own Wiring harness/loom

Hier können Reperaturfragen gestellt werden. Wie wird was wieder repariert?

Moderatoren: Kristian, tester_änderung

Antworten
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

building your own Wiring harness/loom

Beitrag von baldock »

My XL500R had electrical problems.
Firstly, the rear brake light would only work when the hand lever was pulled, but not whilst using the foot pedal. I traced this to a faulty wire inside the loom. If it was bent back and forth, the light went on/off.
After mending that, I tried to tackle a faulty indicator. This also worked if the harness was bent back and forth, but this time it was on the section where the frame meets the forks. This section has had 40 years of flexing, so I guess will be the weak point.
I now think it would be best to just get a new wiring loom. After seeing the price of £350, I've decided to make my own.
The wire appears to be 2mm thick, and the bullets are 3.5mm. The plastic connector blocks are all available, even the red and black ones. I've bought the crimping tool and will post a shopping list and an idiots guide in the future.
In the meantime, has anyone else tried to do this?
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Re: building your own Wiring harness/loom

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hallo Baldock,

Alex (Forumsname: Sklia) aus München hat so etwas begonnen.
Hier mal ein Link zu Thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14044
Auch Thorsten_vom_Deich hat mal einen Kabelbaum erstellt. Da sollten noch Adressen für Kabel und Stecker vorhanden sein.

Viele Grüße
Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

thanks. I'll post the final details and guide (with pictures) once it's finished.
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

I contacted Sklia on the post above, and he used 1mm cross sectional cable with no problems so far.

I also contacted the person on ebay who sells new XL500R harnesses, and he replied with the following:

1. Wire cross sectional area in square mm is- 2.00mm
2. Outside diameter of wire & insulation is- 2.55mm
3. Continuous current rating capacity in amps is- 25amps
4. Stranded copper wire with 28 strands
5. Insulation type, thin-wall, has a higher temperature rating than the original pvc type insulation.

I guess I'll have to use the 2.00mm cable unless anyone with electrical knowledge can advise otherwise?
Antworten