transmission shaft has an extra thrust washer + low gear scoring inside of crankcase

Hier können Reperaturfragen gestellt werden. Wie wird was wieder repariert?

Moderatoren: Kristian, tester_änderung

Antworten
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

transmission shaft has an extra thrust washer + low gear scoring inside of crankcase

Beitrag von baldock »

when I disassembled the final drive transmission shaft, I found that there was an extra thrust washer and the low gear has been scoring a large circle inside the crankcase.

I read somewhere on here that the FT500 shafts are slightly longer than the XL500.

Do youi think it been replaced with FT500 and this Is why the extra washer and damage?
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Re: transmission shaft has an extra thrust washer + low gear scoring inside of crankcase

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

That is correct, the FT500 shaft can be used. As the chain of the FT500 is slightly wider than that of the XL500, the drive sprocket (15 teeth) must be 1.5mm further towards the motor housing. The 1.5mm can be achieved by using two extra washers, mounted between the locking plate and the sprocket.

Chain FT500 Size 525
Chain XL500 Size 520

Please send us a photo of the scratch on the housing.

Cheers Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Die besten Kapitäne stehen an Land!
WAFI: Wind assisted freaking idiot
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Re: transmission shaft has an extra thrust washer + low gear scoring inside of crankcase

Beitrag von baldock »

screenshot.png
there was only 1 washer and it was at the opposite end of the shaft to where the drive sprocket would be.

I'm wondering if the extra washer might just be a mistake by whoever worked on the gearbox.

does anyone know the actual length of the XL shaft and FT shaft so I can measure to see where I go from here?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

Hello Baldock,

there should be a washer near to the needle bearing on each shaft, no. 19 at the picture. Inner diameter 20mm.
I have not the exact length of the out-going-shaft, but it should be the same for XL or FT, except the place for the sproket.
If you have a FT-shaft, the sproket (Ritzel) should be placed 1,5mm nearer to the crankcase (Motorgehäuse), thats all.

Please take a look at the picture.

Greetings
Gunnar
Teile-getriebe.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
baldock
XL Berater
XL Berater

Beitrag von baldock »

sorry, are you saying that the FT sprocket is wider than the XL one, but the output shaft are the same length on both bikes.
They cut the groove for the fixing plate in a different position to allow for the wider sprocket.
The two washers that you mention are put between the sprocket and fixing plate on the FT shaft to shift the sprocket over by 1.5mm.

My extra washer was inside the gearbox at the bearing end. There were two of the no.19 washers side by side on the same shaft.

could this have caused the cog to score the inside of the crankcase in my picture?
Gunnar_HH
XL Guru
XL Guru

Beitrag von Gunnar_HH »

baldock hat geschrieben: 27. Juni 2021, 17:34 sorry, are you saying that the FT sprocket is wider than the XL one,
Yes, the sprocket is wider (525).
baldock hat geschrieben: 27. Juni 2021, 17:34but the output shaft are the same length on both bikes.
They cut the groove for the fixing plate in a different position to allow for the wider sprocket. The two washers that you mention are put between the sprocket and fixing plate on the FT shaft to shift the sprocket over by 1.5mm.
Yes, I think so.
baldock hat geschrieben: 27. Juni 2021, 17:34 My extra washer was inside the gearbox at the bearing end. There were two of the no.19 washers side by side on the same shaft.
could this have caused the cog to score the inside of the crankcase in my picture?
Two identical washers (Scheiben) mounted side by side makes no sense.
What about the complete shaft, Have you installed all the cogwheels (Zahnräder), washers and needle/ball-bearings (Nadel-/Kugel-Lager)?
I have to take a look to all the cogwheels, maybe they are not symmetrical.

My tip for the England-Germany match is 2:1 after extra time.

Cheers
Gunnar
XL500R / Bj 82
Moto 6.5 / Bj 96
Antworten