I tried removing the original paint with stripper and wire wool, but I was using so much wool due to it clogging up with sludge and barely any paint was coming off.
Finally I used paint stripper and a stainless steel scrub pad (normally used for washing the dishes).
Although made of stainless steel, they are very soft and haven't scratched the aluminum surface.
It only took one pad to do the whole engine and the process was a lot quicker with less effort.
2 years before i had the same problem. I also tried to use chemical de-painter / stripper , sandpaper, brush - its working, but i am not satisfied.
I didnt use this stainless steel pads ( because i didnt know ).
Based of a "very good hint " i tried to use blasting with soda . Its not really good working and the Soda you will found everywhere - yes everywhere
So for the next time i will try to use " ice blasting" . Unfortunatly its not possible to made " at home " and the next blasting company is about 100 km away. But this " dry ice blasting " should work really fine.
My very england is not the yellow from the egg but with the internet overseater it goes to understand what is loose.