'81 XL500 S Rear shocks and exhaust

Fragen wie z.B: Paßt die Gabel der R an die S?

Moderatoren: Kristian, tester_änderung

Antworten
nasse

'81 XL500 S Rear shocks and exhaust

Beitrag von nasse »

Hi all

I'll write this in english since my german is kind of non-existing. (well... I found this site didn't I?)

I was amazed to see that a XL500 fansite even existed, that deserves some serious respect to you all :top:

Now on to my story: My father bought a 1981 Honda XL500 S back in the late '80s, it was in pretty bad shape after being involved in a collision before he bought it, but luckyli there were no damage to the frame or engine so he rebuilt it from mostly second hand parts. I was only 8 years old at the time, but I still remember that he spent an entire winter out in the workshop and the bike came out real nice. The bike has been in everyday use until last year when he bought a new bike ('81 Kawasaki 750, also a nice bike, just not a Honda :( ), but anyway, the XL500 is finally mine 8)

It's been app. 15 years since it's first rebuild and things are starting to get worn down again. The exhaust system is pretty much gone, so are the rear shocks.

The official Honda distributor here in Norway imported only 5 XL500s from '79 to '81, so original spare parts that are uniqe to it are very hard to come by, and are usually pretty expensive
nasse

Beitrag von nasse »

...so what I wanted to ask was (If Im able to do this right this time) is:

What kind of aftermarket replacements do you recomend?

Is the BSM exhaust system any good?

I've done a little googling and it seems like www.davidsilverspares.co.uk is a good place to start, any other international dealers I should consider?
haan
XL Guru
XL Guru
Beitrag von haan »

this is the adress, where you get everything from to fair prices.

http://www.alttec-classics.de/shop/

if there are some pieces, that are not in the shop, be free to ask, i'm sure, erik can help you.

best regards
hauke
volkerxl
Administrator
hi nasse

Beitrag von volkerxl »

hi you are wellcome to our community. i think erik from alttec-classics is the best adress for you to get the parts you are looking for. in the past there was no problem he can´t help. :D
webmaster XL 500.de
webmaster XR500.com
-low
alttec
XL Guru
XL Guru
Beitrag von alttec »

hello,

but my english is not the best. :D
Schöne Grüsse

Erik
Gast

Beitrag von Gast »

Hy there,
Erics bitubos are quite good as spare shocks.
Ask Dominik, he rides those.
In case you need an original exhaust for the 500S in a reasonable shape, then send me an email..I think there´s still one hidden in the garage, under a pile of Honda parts...

Cheers,
die Oma

Ps.: Email is omagott@gmx.de
Antworten